These Carrot-Zucchini Bars are a perfect sweet finger food.
Yield: 24 bars
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 large eggs
- ¾ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- ½ cup salted butter, melted
- ¼ cup honey
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1½ cups finely shredded carrot, loosely packed
- 1 cup finely shredded zucchini, loosely packed (see Kitchen Tip)
- Garnish: confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Line a 13-x-9-inch baking pan with foil or parchment paper, letting edges hang over sides of pan as handles. Spray with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, ginger, salt, and baking soda, whisking well. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine eggs, brown sugar, melted butter, honey, and vanilla extract, whisking to blend. Add carrot and zucchini, folding to combine. Add flour mixture to egg mixture, stirring until just combined. Pour batter into prepared pan, smoothing surface.
- Bake until edges are brown and a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean, approximately 20 minutes. Let cool completely in pan.
- When cool, lift from pan, using foil handles, and place on a cutting surface. Using a long serrated knife, cut into bars.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature.
- Just before serving, dust with confectioners’ sugar, if desired.
Kitchen Tip: Measure zucchini by loosely packing into a measuring cup. Place zucchini in a clean dish towel, and squeeze dry before adding to mixture.
From TeaTime, July/August 2015
Discover more seasonal recipes, table settings, and teatime inspiration by ordering your TeaTime subscription today!