Taking their flavor and color from green matcha tea, these cookies are as festive as they are delicious.
Pair them with a cup of rooibos for an especially flavorful sweets course at your Christmas tea.
This is a corrected version of the recipe for Matcha Christmas Cookies that appears on page 44 of TeaTime’s November/December 2015 issue.
Matcha Christmas Cookies
Write a review
- 1 cup salted butter, softened
- ½ cup plus 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon zest
- ¼ teaspoon lemon extract
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- 2¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon matcha green tea*
- Garnish: green sugar, sprinkles†
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Line 2 rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine butter and sugar. Beat at high speed with a mixer until light and creamy, 2 to 3 minutes. Add egg, lemon zest, lemon extract, and almond extract, beating to combine.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour and matcha, whisking well. Add to butter mixture, beating at medium speed until thoroughly combined.
- Transfer dough to a cookie press fitted with a Christmas tree disk or a wreath disk‡. Press cookies onto prepared baking sheets. Decorate with colored sugar and sprinkles, if desired.
- Bake until cookies are firm but edges are not brown, approximately 9 minutes. Remove to wire cooling racks, and let cool completely. Store in an airtight container.
TeaTime Magazine http://staging.teatimemagazine.com/