Topped with fresh fruit, this beautiful crème anglaise is a lovely sweet year round.
Tea-Infused Crème Anglaise with Fresh Fruit
Write a review
- 1½ cups half-and-half
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 tea bags coconut-flavored green tea blend
- ½ vanilla bean, split in half, seeds reserved
- 6 large egg yolks
- 2 1/3 cups fresh strawberries, quartered
- 2 1/3 cups fresh raspberries
- 2 1/3 cups fresh Rainier cherries, pitted and cut in half
- 2 1/3 cups fresh Bing cherries, pitted and cut in half
- Garnish: fresh mint
- In a medium saucepan, combine half-and-half, sugar, tea bags, and reserved vanilla seeds. Cook over medium heat just until mixture begins to boil. Remove from heat. Steep for 5 minutes before removing tea bags.
- In a medium bowl, whisk egg yolks until smooth. Using a ladle, pour 1 cup hot cream mixture in a slow steady stream into yolks, whisking constantly. Repeat with another 1 cup hot cream mixture. Whisk to combine.
- Transfer mixture back to saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon or until temperature reaches 180˚ on an instant-read thermometer.
- Strain mixture through a fine-mesh sieve into a stainless steel bowl set over an ice-water bath. Cool completely, stirring often. Cover, and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- To serve, divide crème and fruit among individual bowls.
- Garnish with fresh mint, if desired.
- • For testing purposes, we used Harney & Sons Organic Bangkok green tea blend (harney.com).
TeaTime Magazine http://staging.teatimemagazine.com/